Vietnamese Style Chicken Salad
I like to add cucumbers, basil and green onions to this salad. I usually have a ton of them mid-summer so this salad is a great way to use them up. Red onions are traditional so if you want their sweet spark of flavor, use them instead of the green onions. Serves 4 to 6
- 1 pound cooked shredded chicken breast
- 5 cups shredded Napa cabbage
- 1 large carrot, peeled and shredded
- 1 medium English cucumber, slice thinly
- 3 large green onions, cut into 2-inch lengths and julienned or ½ cup thinly slice red onion
- ½ cup loosely packed chopped cilantro
- ¼ cup packed torn basil leaves, optional
- ¼ cup packed julienned mint leaves
- ½ cup lightly chopped toasted pine nuts, cashews or dry roasted salted peanuts
- Lime Vinaigrette
- Lime wedges
1. Place all of the ingredients from the chicken breast through the mint leaves in a large bowl. Pour the vinaigrette over the top and toss well. Let the salad sit for 5 minutes and then toss again.
2. Sprinkle the nuts on top and serve lime wedges on the side.