Adjust the ratio of olive oil and vegetable oil to your liking. I like my vinaigrettes tangy so I usually use a 50/50 vinegar to oil ratio. Yield: 1+ cup
- 1 large shallot, minced
- ½ cup red wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- ¼ cup expeller pressed vegetable oil such as sunflower or safflower
- ½ cup extra virgin olive oil
1. In a medium bowl, whisk together the shallot, vinegar, sugar, salt and a few grinds of black pepper. Let sit for 10 minutes to allow the salt to dissolve then whisk again and taste the seasoning balance. Adjust the salt and sugar to taste. The oil will mellow out both so make sure the vinegar has some punch from salt with a hint of sweetness.
2. Whisk in the oils and reserve at room temp if using within a few hours. If not, refrigerate and bring to room temp to serve. Whisk before adding to salad.