Sour Cream Cornbread
This is a savory cornbread. My family eats the leftovers toasted with a drizzle of honey. Add an additional tablespoon of sugar if you prefer a sweeter bread. For a twist add ½ cup of finely shredded sharp cheddar and 1 tablespoon of minced jalapeños for added kick. Serves 8–10
- 1⅓ cups stone ground cornmeal
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1½ teaspoons baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- 1½ teaspoons kosher salt
- ½ cup sour cream
- 1 cup whole milk
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into 6 pieces
- 3 large eggs
1. Adjust oven rack to middle position and heat oven to 400 degrees. Butter a 10–inch cast iron skillet or 10–inch round cake pan.
2. Whisk cornmeal, flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt together in a large bowl.
3. Whisk together the sour cream and milk.
4. Melt the butter and whisk into the milk mixture. Whisk in the eggs. Fold wet into dry ingredients.
5. Scrape the batter into the prepared baking dish and spread into an even layer. Bake until top is golden brown and toothpick inserted in center comes out clean, 20–25 minutes.
6. Remove cornbread from pan. Let cool on wire rack for 15 minutes before cutting and serving.