Sichuan Pepper Steak
The marinade on this steak caramelizes beautifully as it cooks, forming a delicious spice-scented crust. Don’t be concerned about the small amount of marinade. The flavors really pack a punch. Serves 4 to 6
- 2 tablespoons Shaoxing rice wine or dry sherry
- 2 teaspoons dark soy sauce*
- 1½ teaspoon ground Sichuan peppercorn
- ¾ teaspoon Chinese five spice powder
- 1 large garlic clove, crushed and finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 2 pound flatiron steak, trimmed of fat and sinew
- Kosher salt
1. Whisk together the rice wine, dark soy sauce, Sichuan peppercorn, five spice powder, garlic and sugar.
2. Pour into a non-reactive dish or zip lock bag large enough to accommodate the steak. Move and flip the steak so that it is evenly coated with the marinade. Marinate 4 hours to overnight turning once.
3. Heat the grill to medium high. Remove the steak from the marinade and season both sides with salt.
4. Grill for 7 minutes a side for medium rare. Let the steak rest on the cutting board for 15 minutes before slicing thinly across the grain of the meat. Serve over a rice cake with buttered bok choy.