Yield: 1½ cup
1. Preheat a medium sauté pan over medium heat.
2. Toast seeds separately in the pan for 2-3 minutes tossing occasionally to freshen and exude their scent. Cool.
3. Place the seeds together in spice grinder and grind to powder. Reserve.
4. Heat olive oil in a medium pan over medium heat. Add onion and garlic. Cook until onions are golden about 2 to 3 minutes.
5. Add the red pepper and chilies. Cook until heated through.
6. Add tomato puree and cook until bubbly and thick. Remove from heat and cool to warm.
7. Place in a blender. Add spices and lemon juice. Puree until smooth. Season with salt, blend and let sit for 15 minutes and add additional salt if necessary and repeat until seasoning is to your taste. Leftover harissa can be stored in the refrigerator for a week or in the freezer for up to 6 months.