Ghel Gheli (meatballs)
You will find yourself eagerly popping these easily prepared, tiny, spice-scented meatballs into your mouth as they come out of the sauté pan. Their sweet and savory flavor is addictive. Yield: 70 bite-sized meatballs
- 1 pound ground lamb
- 1 small onion, finely chopped or grated
- 1½ teaspoons kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ½ teaspoon ground turmeric
- ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon ground cardamom
- Extra virgin olive oil
1. Place all the ingredients with the exception of the oil in a medium bowl and mix well.
2. Roll into small balls the size of walnuts and place on a sheet pan lined with parchment paper.
3. Heat a large frying pan with oil and sauté the meatballs until they are fully cooked and crispy on all sides, about 5 minutes.
4. Just before serving reheat the meatballs in a small sauté pan and toss with ¼ cup of the cherry syrup to coat lightly.