These sesame-crusted toasts are packed with flavor. The herbs and aromatics play deliciously with the sweetness of the shrimp. Yield: 20 pieces
1. Coarsely chop 4 shrimp and reserve in a small bowl in the refrigerator.
2. Put the remaining shrimp, egg white, cornstarch, and cilantro in a food processor and pulse until pasty.
3. Add the jalapeños, scallions, ginger, sesame oil, sugar, salt, fish sauce and pulse until combined. Add the coarsely chopped shrimp and pulse until combined but still chunky.
4. Use a spoon to divide the mixture evenly among the bread slices. Spread in an even layer to the edges of the bread.
5. Place the shrimp toast on a parchment lined sheet pan and place in the freezer for 1 hour or overnight to firm up and make them easier to cut and handle, otherwise they will be very floppy.
6. Bring 1½ inches of oil to 350 degrees F in a heavy-bottomed pot.
7. Cut each bread slice into 4 squares, flip over and gently press the shrimp side into the sesame seeds to lightly coat.
8. Using a large fork, carefully place each piece shrimp-side down into the oil.
9. Fry until golden, 2 to 3 minutes. Remove onto a rack or paper towel. Garnish with sliced green onion and serve immediately.