Roasted Carrot with Cumin & Marash Chili
The carrots caramelize and sweeten with roasting. The chili offers a nice contrast to their sweetness. I like to double the recipe and serve the carrots chilled the next day with a green salad and chewy pita bread. Serves 4
- 1 pound carrots, peeled
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon cumin seed
- ½ teaspoon Marash chili
- Labneh, recipe follows
- Fresh cilantro leave to garnish
1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
2. Heat a large sauté pan over medium high heat. Add 2 tablespoons of olive oil to the pan. Add the carrots and sear until golden about 3 to 4 minutes. Season with salt.
3. Add cumin and chili then toss well to combine.
4. Add 1 cup warm water and bring to a boil stovetop then place in the oven and cook for 25 to 30 minutes until water has evaporated and carrots are tender and caramelized.
5. Spread a heaping spoonful of Labneh on a serving plate. Top with carrots. Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle cilantro leaves over.