Piperade of Sweet Peppers
People love or hate sweet peppers. Once they cross over to the hate side it’s hard to woo them back. These meltingly sweet peppers might actually lure them back over the line. Serves 4 – 6
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 large sweet red bell peppers, core and seeds removed, sliced thinly
- 2 large sweet yellow bell peppers, core and seeds removed, sliced thinly
- 1 large yellow onion, sliced into wedges, as thin as possible
- 1 large garlic clove, minced
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
1. Heat a large saute pan over medium heat. Add the olive oil and the peppers and onions. Saute stirring constantly until wilted, about 2 minutes.
2. Add the garlic then season with 1 teaspoon salt and a few grinds of black pepper. Stir well.
3. Reduce heat to low, stirring occasionally until peppers are meltingly tender and liquid is concentrated, about 50 minutes to 1 hour.
4. Adjust seasoning to taste before serving.
Notes: Piperade can be made up to 1 month in advance and frozen. Be sure to remove from freezer 1 day in advance of serving to defrost. Reheat gently on low.
Peppers can be sliced, bagged and refrigerated up to 3 days in advance. Slice onion the day of, do not slice in advance as the enzymes in the onion will break down the onion and fill your refrigerator with the smell of cut onions.