Pastrami-crusted Rib Roast
Serves 8 to 10
- 4 tablespoons coarsely crushed black peppercorns
- 1 tablespoon ground coriander seed
- 1 tablespoon ground mustard seed
- 1 teaspoon Aleppo chili flakes or similar
- 1 tablespoon ground fennel seed
- 3 tablespoons KOSHER salt
- 6 large garlic cloves
- 6 to 7 pound standing rib roast, about 4 bones
1. In a small bowl mix the spices together. Measure out 3 tablespoons of the spice mix and place in another small bowl. The remaining spice mix can be kept in a sealed container for up to 3 months for best flavor.
2. Add the kosher salt to the 3 tablespoons of spice mix. Press the garlic cloves into the bowl and mix well.
3. Rub all over the roast thoroughly. Wrap tightly in plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight or up to 48 hours.
4. Remove the roast from the refrigerator 2 hours before roasting to bring the meat up to room temperature. Unwrap and place in a roasting pan.
5. Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F.
6. Place the roast in the oven and roast for 25 to 30 minutes until the meat is well-brown and fat is bubbling. Reduce the heat to 350 degrees F and continue to roast for 1 hour to 1 hour 15 minutes until an instant read thermometer registers 125 degrees F for medium rare.
7. Let the roast rest at room temperature for 30 minutes uncovered before slicing. Slice the roast off the bones by running your knife flat against the ribs and pressing downward. Slice the eye thinly and arrange on a plate. Cut the ribs into individual ribs and place around the sliced eye. Serve with the accompaniments of your choice.