New Potato Salad Dressed with Pickled Sea Fennel
Eating sea fennel reminds me of the sea. Its texture and flavor captures the essence of a sunny day by the beach. Serves 4 to 6
- 1½ pounds marble-sized new potatoes
- Kosher salt
- 1 small yellow onion finely diced or 1 tablespoon minced shallot
- 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons chopped pickled sea fennel with its olive oil
1. Bring a medium pot of water to a boil and add a handful of kosher salt. Add the potatoes and cook until tender 10 to 12 minutes depending on size. If you use large potatoes cut into marble sized pieces and cook the same way. If the potatoes are thin-skinned there is no need to peel them.
2. Drain the potatoes, cut in half and place in a large bowl.
3. While the potatoes are still warm toss with the onion or shallot and vinegar. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Add a little more vinegar to taste if you like your potato salad tangy.
4. Add the olive oil and the sea fennel and toss with the potatoes. Adjust the seasoning and let sit for 30 minutes before serving.
Pickled Sea Fennel, a.k.a. Paccasassi Sott’olio, may be purchased from The Vineyard Kitchen Larder.