Miso Butter-Roasted Cabbage
Roasting and caramelizing cabbage with miso bring out its sweet good-natured flavor and elevates it to a level where you want to eat by the bowlful (or at least I do). It is delicious against a backdrop of steamed jasmine or sushi rice. Serve it as an accompaniment to roasted fish, chicken and pork or eat it as the main event. Serves 4 to 6
- Vegetable oil
- 1 medium head green cabbage cut into 8 wedges
- ¼ cup sweet miso
- ¼ cup white miso paste
- ¼ teaspoon chili flake
- 8 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon mirin rice wine
- 4 large scallion, white part only, sliced thinly, save green part and slice thinly for garnish
1. Arrange rack in top third of oven. Preheat oven to 450 degrees F.
2. Use a brush to lightly grease a half sheet pan with vegetable oil.
3. In a large bowl mix together the miso, chili flake, butter, soy sauce, mirin and scallions whites until evenly combined.
4. Add the cabbage wedges and mix gently with your hands to evenly coat the wedges with the mixture. You can also place the wedges on the sheet pan and use the back of spoon to coat the wedges if you so desire.
5. Place the cabbage wedges evenly spaced on the oiled sheet pan.
6. Roast the wedges in the preheated oven for 15 minutes until the edges start to brown. Turn over with a metal spatula and roast for 25 to 30 minutes more until the cabbage is caramelized the edges are charred.
7. Remove to a serving plate or bowl, sprinkle with scallion greens and serve with steamed rice.