If red meat isn’t your jam, substitute ground turkey or chicken. For vegetarians, find some nice meaty trumpet or Portobello mushrooms and marinate overnight with the onions, garlic, spices, salt and pepper and a little olive oil. Skewer, then – after grilling – toss with the herbs and a squeeze of lemon juice. Serves 4.
1. Ready four 10 to 12-inch skewers. If using bamboo skewers, soak for 15 minutes before using.
2. In a large bowl, mix all ingredients until thoroughly combined. Make a small thin patty and cook in a small sauté pan over medium heat with a little olive oil to check seasoning. Add more salt and pepper to taste if desired.
3. Take ½ cup of the meat mixture and form into a meatball. Thread onto the skewer and roll the meat in your hands to flatten it into a long egg type shape. Repeat with the remaining meat mixture.
4. Heat grill to high heat. Place kababs on grill and cook for about 6 minutes. Turn and cook another 6 minutes or until the meat is no longer pink. Remove from the grill.
5. Serve with tzatziki & pita bread if desired.