Golden Crusted Baked Lasagna
This golden crusted lasagna is creamy, cheesy and packed with flavor. Use a 12 inch cast iron skillet if you plan to feed a crowd. You can also halve all recipes to make a 10-inch cast iron skillet or deep 9 x 13 ½ inch lasagna pan. Omit the turkey for a vegetarian version. Stir 3 cups finely-chopped, cooked spinach into the béchamel sauce for a nice addition, especially with the vegetarian version. Serves 10-12
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 Recipe Ragu
- 1 Recipe Béchamel Sauce
- 1 package Egg Lasagna squares or 1 box No cook lasagna noodles
- 8 ounces Italian Taleggio or Fontina cheese grated or diced depending on softness. Reserve ½ cup of cheese to sprinkle on top
- 2 tablespoons chopped flat leaf parsley for garnish
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly oil the baking dish.
2.To assemble the pasta layer as follows. Note: Use 50/50 ragu and béchamel on all layers except the top. Ladle ragu first and béchamel on top then swirl lightly with back of ladle.
Ragu/Béchamel ⇒ Pasta in a single layer ⇒ Ragu/Béchamel ⇒ Cheese ⇒ Pasta in a single layer ⇒ Ragu/Béchamel ⇒ Cheese ⇒ Pasta in a single layer ⇒ Ragu/Béchamel ⇒ Cheese ⇒ Pasta in a single layer ⇒ Béchamel
3. Cover pan tightly with foil and bake for 45 minutes. Remove foil and sprinkle with the ½ cup of reserved cheese. Keep pan uncovered. Increase the oven temperature to 400 degrees F and bake until golden and bubbling 20-30 minutes more.
Recipe: Meat and Mushroom Ragu
Lasagne Squares may be purchased from The Vineyard Kitchen Larder.