I love the crisp freshness of this salad. If you prefer, substitute pear for apple and almonds or walnuts for the hazelnuts. All will work well with the Pinot Blanc. Serves 4
1. Crush the hazelnuts coarsely and reserve.
2. Quarter and core the apple. Slice each quarter thinly crosswise. Place in a medium bowl. Add the shallots, the vinegars, salt and a few grinds of black pepper. Toss well to coat the apples.
3. Add the hazelnuts and toss again.
4. Slice the brown root end off of the endive heads and remove any brown or bruised leaves. Slice crosswise into 1 inch thick pieces. Separate the cut leaves as you scatter them in the bowl containing the apples.
5. Drizzle the salad with ¼ cup of oil and toss with a pair of salad tongs/servers to coat and mix ingredients evenly. Taste for seasoning and tang. Add salt, pepper and oil to taste.
6. Sprinkle the blue cheese over and serve.