Dungeness Crab Lettuce Cups with Turmeric Balsamic
Sometimes it’s nice to have an easy, throw-together recipe. These delicious, crunchy crab stuffed lettuce cups are simple to make and fun to eat. The freshness and quality of the crab is of the utmost importance, so make sure to procure the very best. The turmeric balsamic adds sweetness and punch to the mix. Substitute a sweet white “balsamic” in a pinch. Yield: 8 lettuce cups
- 8 ounces fresh crab meat, well drained
- 1-2 teaspoons minced fresh red chili, select chili and amount based on desired spiciness
- 1 tablespoon thinly sliced green onion
- 3 large fresh mint leaves, finely julienned
- 3 medium sprigs fresh cilantro, coarsely chopped
- 4 large fresh Thai basil leaves, finely julienned
- 2-3 teaspoons fresh lime juice
- Kosher salt
- 8 little gem lettuce leaves or 8 trimmed romaine heart leaves
- ½ cup julienned carrot
- ½ cup thinly sliced English or Persian cucumber
- Turmeric or white balsamic vinegar
- Flaked sea salt to garnish
- Cilantro sprigs to garnish
1. In a small bowl toss together the crab, chili, green onion, chopped mint, cilantro and basil until evenly combined. Try to leave crab as chunky as possible.
2. Add lime juice to taste and then season with salt to taste.
3. Arrange lettuce cups on a serving plate. Divide carrots evenly between the cups, then top with the sliced cucumber and crab.
4. Drizzle with turmeric balsamic. Garnish with cilantro sprigs and a few flakes of sea salt. Serve immediately.
Organic Turmeric Balsamic Vinegar may be purchased from The Vineyard Kitchen Larder.