Use this recipe as a starting point to make a delicious side or main dish in the style of fried rice. If you like, add vegetables to the mix like snap peas, baby bok choy or baby spinach. Leftover shredded chicken, pork or beef can be added when you add the mushrooms to make a comforting main dish. Serves 6 to 8
1. Soak the farro for 40 minutes in enough cool water to cover by 2 inches. Drain and rinse.
2. Place in a medium saucepan and add 8 cups of water along with 1 tablespoon of salt. Bring to a boil and simmer until tender, about 15 to 20 minutes. Drain and reserve. Farro may be cooked up to 2 days in advance and stored in the refrigerator.
3. Heat a large non-stick pan over medium high heat. When the pan is hot add 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil and then the mushrooms. Sauté until the mushroom are golden and their juices are almost dry. Season with salt to taste. Fold in the green onion and cook for 1 to 2 minutes until wilted. Remove the mushrooms to a plate and reserve at room temperature.
4. Wipe or rinse the pan, dry, and place back over high heat. Add 2 tablespoons vegetable oil and a splash of sesame.
5. Add the cooked farro to the pan. Let it cook undisturbed until a crust forms on the bottom, 2-3 minutes. Give it a stir to break up the crust and then let it crust again. Add another splash of vegetable oil if the pan seems dry. Continue to form and break crust until the farro has an equal amount of crunch and softness. Reduce the heat if the pan gets too hot and the farro starts to burn.
6. Add the mushrooms to the pan and stir well to combine. Reduce heat and continue to cook for 2 to 3 minutes. Make a large hole in the center of the farro by pushing the farro to the edges of the pan with a heatproof rubber spatula.
7. In a small bowl whisk the egg with a fork or whisk until smooth with 1 tablespoon of soy sauce.
8. Add a little vegetable and sesame oils to the hole you made and then pour in the egg. Let the egg set for 30 seconds and then stir gently. Continue to cook and stir until the egg forms soft curds and is almost completely cooked then stir it into the farro. Mix until the egg is evenly combined.
9. Season to taste with soy sauce and stir well. Turn out into a serving dish and sprinkle evenly with sesame seeds. Serve as a main course or as a side.