Use this dough recipe for Maria’s Potato, Caramelized Onion and Smoked Ham Varenyky
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 cup milk
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter (½ stick)
- 1 large egg
1. Mix the flour and salt in a large bowl and make a hollow at the center.
2. Warm the milk and butter together in a small pan over low heat just enough to melt the butter. Do not overheat or boil. Cool.
3. Whisk the egg into the cooled milk mixture.
4. Add the egg/milk mixture to the hollow center of the flour and slowly mix in the flour by swirling the liquid and allowing it to grab the flour gradually. Continue until all the of flour is mixed in.
5. Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured counter and knead by hand until the dough is smooth and elastic but still soft. Shape it into a log and divide into 3 pieces. Wrap each piece with plastic. Let the dough sit at room temperature for 20 minutes or overnight in the refrigerator to relax.