Ultimate Grilled Cheese
Aged cheddar melted into a grilled cheese sandwich evokes more love then a salty shard of cheddar on its own. Add a slice of fine artisanal ham and your eyes may just roll back into your head.
Serves 4Print this recipe
8 slices Aged Cheddar-Rosemary Bread
8 slices cheddar
4 thin slices artisanal smoked ham
Soft unsalted butter
1. Brush one side of each slice of bread lightly with butter. Place the slices butter side down on a tray lined with parchment paper.
2. Place a slice of cheddar on four slices of bread and top with ham and then another slice of cheddar. Place the unbuttered side of the bread on top against the cheese.
3. Heat a large heavy skillet over a medium flame. Place the sandwiches in the pan, as many as will fit. Toast until lightly golden, turn over and place another pan or heavy lid on top to weight the sandwiches down.
4. When the side down is deep golden, turn over and continue to cook, weighed down until the other side is the same deep gold.
5. Remove sandwiches from pan and cut into halves or quarters. Serve immediately.