Tahini Bread Rolls
These addictive soft rolls have a wonderful slightly sandy texture. They are easy to make and delicious with just about anything. Serves 4 to 6.Print this recipe
3¼ cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons dry yeast
1½ teaspoons kosher salt
½ teaspoon granulated sugar
1 cup warm water
3 tablespoons mild extra virgin olive oil plus more to grease baking sheet
2 tablespoons tahini
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1 tablespoon nigella seeds
1 tablespoon toasted sesame seeds
1 egg plus 1 teaspoon water beaten until smooth
1 tablespoon nigella seed and 1 tablespoon raw sesame seeds to sprinkle on top
1. In a large bowl, mix together the flour, salt, sugar, and yeast. Stir in the 3 tablespoons olive oil. Add warm the water and mix to form a soft dough.
2. Turn out of the bowl and knead for 10 minutes on a floured surface or until the dough is smooth and elastic. Shape the dough into a ball.
3. Place the dough back into the bowl and seal with plastic wrap. Leave in a warm place for 45 minutes or until double in size.
4. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Generously oil a sheet pan.
5. In a small bowl, mix together the tahini, salt, 1 tablespoon nigella seeds and 1 tablespoon toasted sesame seeds. Reserve.
6. Punch the dough down, turn out onto a lightly floured counter or board, and divide into 8 equal pieces. Roll each piece into a ball and let rest on the counter covered with a tea towel for 15 minutes to relax.
7. Use a rolling pin to roll each ball into a thin oval about 6 inches long. Spread a generous teaspoon of tahini mixture in the middle of the dough and roll up like a cigar.
8. Twist the rolled dough until it wants to make a spiral. Tuck the end of the twist under the spiraled dough and pinch well to seal.
9. Place the finished roll on the greased sheet pan. Repeat these steps for the rest of the dough.
10. Brush the top of the rolls lightly with egg wash and sprinkle with untoasted sesame and nigella seeds
11. Place the tray in the center rack of the preheated oven and bake until the top of the rolls are a golden color, 25 to 30 minutes.