Serves 4 to 6
Can be made 1 to 3 days in advance. Remove hardened fat from top and before reheating. Great main dish to make ahead and freeze.Print this recipe
4 pounds lamb leg, cut into 2-inch pieces
Freshly ground black pepper
Extra virgin olive oil
3 medium carrots
2 medium yellow onion
6 medium garlic cloves
4 cups dry red wine
1 1/2 cups tomato puree
2 bay leaves
1/4 cup packed parsley leaves
2 4-inch rosemary sprigs
3 cups water
1 cup whole milk
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
1 1/4 cups polenta
1 1/4 teaspoon salt
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F oven. Ready a 5-quart Dutch oven or similar covered baking dish.
2. Season the lamb well with salt and pepper. Heat a large sauté pan over medium high heat. Add olive oil to just cover the bottom of the pan and brown the lamb well in batches. Transfer to the Dutch oven.
3. Add the carrots, onion and garlic to the pan and brown lightly. Add to the lamb.
4. Add the wine to the pan to deglaze and boil for 5 minutes to reduce. Pour over the lamb and vegetables.
5. Add the tomato puree, bay leaves, parsley and rosemary to the lamb. Cover the Dutch oven and place it in the preheated oven.
6. Braise the lamb 1 hour covered, and then 45 minutes to 1 hour uncovered, until the lamb is meltingly tender and the juices are 6. reduced. Discard the bay leaves and rosemary stems. Skim off fat and serve with polenta or your favorite side dish.
Bring liquid and butter to a boil in a medium saucepan. Whisk in the polenta and stir with the whisk until smooth. Reduce heat to low and cook for 40 minutes, stirring occasionally with a wooden spoon until very tender.