Sausages with Sauerkraut and Abraxas Mustard
Simple and fun! Grill sausages lightly after steaming in sauerkraut for another layer of flavor and texture. Serves 6.
3 cups sauerkraut, good quality store bought
1 cup Abraxas or another dry aromatic white wine
2 dry or fresh bay leaves
Handful of flat leaf parsley leaves
3 juniper berries
6 good hot dogs or brats
6 hot dog buns
1. Drain the sauerkraut and add to a 12-inch saute pan or Dutch oven.
2. Add the wine to the sauerkraut along with 3 cups water.
3. Add the bay leaves and juniper berries. Bring to a boil. Cover and reduce to a simmer. Cook until the bay leaves and juniper are fragrant, about 30 minutes.
4. Prick the sausages with a fork. Add the sausages and nestle into the sauerkraut. Cover and steam for 15-20 minutes until heated through. Add more water to pan if the sauerkraut starts to dry out. Add a handful of parsley leaves to the pan just before serving.
5. Split and toast the buns. Place a hotdog in the bun and top with sauerkraut and Abraxas mustard. Serve hot.