Roasted Japanese Eggplant Tartlet with Olive Tapenade
Try thinly sliced zucchini in place of eggplant. Or bake the brisée circles with tapenade only and top with a slice of hard-boiled egg topped with anchovy or anchovy aioli. Serves 4 to 6Print this recipe
3 small 1½ diameter Japanese eggplants, trimmed and sliced thinly
Extra virgin olive oil
Freshly ground black pepper
3 tablespoons black olive tapenade
12 pâte brisée circles 3 inch diameter
1 tablespoon chopped flat leaf parsley
1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
2. Place the eggplant slices in a small bowl. Drizzle with olive oil and then season with salt and pepper. Toss to combine and let sit for 10 minutes.
3. Spread 1 teaspoon of tapenade evenly on each brisée circle. Place on a parchment lined sheet pan.
4. Overlap the eggplant slices tightly in a circle on top of the tapenade to make a pin wheel.
5. Drizzle with olive oil and bake in the preheated oven for 20 to 30 minutes until the eggplant turns golden the edges and crust is golden on the bottom.
6. Remove the tarts from the oven, sprinkle with parsley and serve warm or at room temperature.