Honey Almond Cake
This delicate and moist cake is filled with the scent of honey, orange peel, warm spices and almonds. Serve it in wedges sprinkled with powdered sugar or with a side of crème fraiche.
Serves 8-10Print this recipe
1 1/2 cups whole raw almonds
1 cup all purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
1 teaspoon ground ginger
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
12 tablespoons (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter at room temperature
1/2 cup honey
1/4 cup sugar
3 large eggs
1 teaspoon finely grated orange zest
1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
2. Butter and flour an 8-cup bundt pan.
3. Spread the almonds on a sheet pan and toast in the preheated oven for 6 minutes. Cool.
4. Grind the nuts in a food processor with 1/2 cup of the flour until very fine. In a medium bowl combine the ground nuts, remaining flour, baking powder, salt, ginger and cinnamon. Reserve.
5. In a standing mixer with a paddle attachment or hand mixer, beat the butter with the honey and sugar until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes. Scrape down the sides of the bowl.
6. In a small bowl beat the eggs lightly with the orange zest and vanilla. Add it in thirds to the butter mixture. Beat well to incorporate after each addition. Scrape down the sides of the bowl. Add the dry ingredients and mix until fully incorporated.
7. Spread the batter evenly in the prepared cake pan. Bake in the preheated oven for 40 to 45 minutes until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
8. Cool the cake in the pan for 5 minutes and then turn out onto a cake rack to cool.
Optional: When cool, dust with powdered sugar.