Charred Cherry Tomato Tart with Basil Scented Goat Cheese
When fresh tomatoes aren’t available, top goat cheese with thin julienne of sun-dried tomatoes. Bake a little less so that the sun-dried tomatoes are caramelized on the edges but not charred. Serves 4 to 6Print this recipe
60 multi-colored cherry tomatoes
Freshly ground black pepper
Extra virgin olive oil
11 ounces fresh goat cheese, softened
5 finely chopped basil leaves
12 pâte brisée rectangles 1½ inches by 5 inches
1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
2. Slice just enough of the tomato tops off to make a flat surface. Place the tomatoes in a small bowl. Drizzle with olive oil, then season with salt and pepper to taste, and toss to coat.
3. In a small bowl, mix together the goat cheese and the chopped basil, season to taste with salt and pepper, and mix well to combine evenly.
4. Use a small knife or metal spatula to evenly spread about 2 tablespoons of the goat cheese mixture on each brisee rectangle.
5. Lay the tarts out on a parchment lined sheet pan. Top each tart with 4 or 5 tomatoes. Leave a small amount of space between each tomato.
6. Drizzle olive oil over the tops of the tomatoes and bake the tarts on the top shelf in the preheated oven for 20 to 30 minutes until the tomatoes are lightly charred and the goat cheese is golden. Serve warm or at room temperature.