Asian Spiced Duck Burgers
These burgers are juicy and delicious. I like to use North China style 5-spice Powder which includes Star Anise, Cloves, Cinnamon, fennel & Szechuan Pepper. I use store bought garlic chili sauce, but if you can't find it substitute 1/4 teaspoon of dried chili and 1 small garlic clove pressed.
Yield: 8 Burgers
1 1/2 pounds duck breast, about 3 large breasts
1 1/2 pounds pork shoulder
1 large garlic clove, pressed
2 tablespoons minced shallots
1 teaspoon ground Chinese 5 Spice Powder, North China Style
2 teaspoons kosher salt
2 tablespoons lime juice
1 1/2 tablespoons fish sauce
1 3/4 teaspoons sugar
1/4-1/2 teaspoon chili garlic sauce
2 green onions, tips trimmed and thinly sliced
1 tablespoon chopped cilantro
4 cups finely shredded red and green cabbage
8 Brioche Buns or store bought
Mayonnaise, homemade or store bought
1. Cut the duck and pork into 1 1/2 inch cubes. Chill them until they are very cold. Use a meat grinder with a medium grind attachment to grind the duck and pork together. Your butcher might do this for you if you arrange it in advance of pick-up.
2. Place the ground meat in a bowl and add the garlic, shallots, 5 Spice Powder and salt. Mix well to combine evenly. Make a small patty and cook it to check the seasoning. Adjust salt to taste if necessary.
3. Divide the meat evenly into 8 balls, about 1/3 pound each. Flatten into patties 1/2 inch thick and refrigerate until ready to use. The patties may be made in advance and frozen. Thaw wrapped overnight in the refrigerator before using.
4. To make the dressing and slaw, whisk together the lime juice, fish sauce, sugar and chili sauce in a small bowl. Let sit for a few minutes then add the green onions and cilantro. Place the cabbage in a large bowl and toss with the dressing. Allow the mixture to sit for at least 10 minutes before serving. The slaw can be made up to 1 day in advance and refrigerated.
5. Heat a large sauté pan over medium high heat. Cook the burgers for 5 to 6 minutes on each side until cooked through but still pink in the center and crisp on the exterior. Burgers may also be grilled over medium high heat for the same amount of time.
6. Slice the brioche buns on horizontal, slightly hollow out each half. Stuff the buns with the burgers, a dab of mayo, a pile of slaw and serve.