Aged Cheddar Cheese Popovers
These moist cheesy popovers are prefect before, during, or after dinner. They can also be served as part of the cheese course. Add toasted cumin or nigella seeds for a twist. Other variations include: adding 1/4 cup of diced caramelized onions or 2 tablespoons of chopped chives after the cheese has been folded into the batter or substituting 1 cup crumbled blue cheese for 1 cup of the cheddar. If you are using a non non-stick popover pan, be sure to brush with melted butter before filling.
Yield: 12-16 mini-popovers
1 1/2 cups water
6 ounces (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter
1 1/2 teaspoons KOSHER salt
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
6 large eggs
2 cups grated good quality aged cheddar
1 egg beaten with 1 teaspoon cold water to brush tops
1. Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F.
2. Bring the water, butter and salt to a boil in a medium saucepan. Remove the pan from the heat and add the flour.
3. Return the pan to medium high heat and stir until batter pulls away from the side of the pan. Scrape into the bowl of a standing mixer. Turn the mixer on and allow the paddle to cool the dough slightly for about a minute.
4. On low speed, add the eggs one by one. After each egg is added increase the speed to medium and beat until the egg is incorporated. The eggs may also be beaten in by hand. Beat well after all eggs have been added. Add the grated cheese. Beat until well incorporated.
5. Spoon the batter into the pan. Fill the molds 3/4 full. Extra batter can be held and baked in a second round.
6. Brush the tops of the popovers lightly with egg wash.
7. Bake for 15 minutes and then reduce heat to 375 degrees F and bake 10 to 15 minutes more until puffed and golden. Serve warm.